Sunday, September 11

Amelia Island

I found an incredible oasis here in Florida. The past two weekends I have stepped into another world. A world that breathes peace and simplicity. A world that allows me to breathe and to feel creative and alive and quite like myself without the cares of the world.

Amelia Island is located less than an hour north of Jax. Yesterday, a friend and I ate lunch at Lulu's Bra & Grill (no mispelling intended here...we found it b/c every single other cafe closes in town between 2 and 5pm), walked down streets lined with shops pretty enough to fit into a small town movie set, sat on the beach like children sifting through thousands of shells, drudged up because of the hurricane, looking for shark's teeth (we found two), and shared tears with a Christian artist in her studio as she told us about her experiences with Christ.

I am about ready to pack up and move to the island. Although, I feel as if it wouldn't be quite right, at least not yet. I have a job to do. I have some stretching left.

I am pressing on in the school arena. It will be quite a year I am sure, one that I cannot make it through without the strength of God. I'm not quite sure what God is doing or rather what I thought He was doing when I decided to move here.

But I will look back on this day and see it clearly. My prayer is that God will open my eyes in this place. That He will show me why He has led me here. That I will walk with the trust and faith of child, sure of His goodness, sure of His presence, sure of His promises.

Before we left the studio, the artist we met said, "I want to share one more thing with you." She shared the story of her husband's illness and death from cancer, and how God moved in the situation. She shared about the last moments and experiencing the transfer of death to life. She said to us, "No matter what happens in your life, ALL of God's promises are TRUE." That thought is engrained upon my heart tonight. I know a lot about God, have been His child for all of my life, but I wonder how much I believe His promises. I wonder how many of His promises I have hidden in my heart.

It is time to look for the promises of God and to hold out hope for His return.

No comments: