Sunday, December 25

Florida Meets Tradition

3am...Christmas morning...Santa has still not arrived. Figures, he must know we're out of Christmas cookies.

Every year, my parents have a tradition of putting an orange in the bottom of our stockings. I think the whole thing stems back to our polish roots. Anyways, for some reason the parents have been forgetting about Christmas stockings these past couple of years. So although I have no idea where the stockings are, I have sought out the best Florida Orange fruit stand I could find...or maybe just the most convenient...and we're back in the tradition. Tonight, there are four oranges ready and waiting under the tree. Josh, don't think you're out of the running either, your orange is on its way. :)

As I was wrapping presents tonight I was listening to one of those old school, southern gospel radio stations. Once in awhile, it doesn't bother me to listen to the Gaithers for awhile....anyways, the news report came on and here is what I heard, in paraphrase: "A large number of Christian tourists have been reported to be visiting Bethlehem this Christmas. Many have been touched to see the actual place of Jesus' birth. The problem seems to be that there are so many tourists, it's hard to find a hotel room in Bethlehem." Hmmm....go figure. :)

As I sign off I am headed to sit by the Christmas tree. Have just arrived home tonight, there's a certain peace about it that's calling me to sit before I head to bed. How easy it is to forget the reason for celebrating this holiday. How easy to get so caught up in tradition and culture.

May God open all of our eyes to the wonder of Christmas. May the sound of His coming be louder than the sounds that so easily entangle us.

Merry Christmas everyone.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Merry Christmas April! Hope yours was wonderful! :)

83princess said...

Merry Christmas April!!