Tuesday, July 15

My Dad


I hope my dad knows how much I love him.  I hope he knows how important he really is.  I hope he knows that I listen when he gives advice...even when I don't like the advice...I listen.  I hope he knows that his words carry over into the heart and soul of who I am.  He is in the fabric of who I am.  I hope he knows that I wouldn't be where I am today without him.  I hope he knows that I want him to be in my life.  I hope he knows that he is important.

I wish he knew how influential he was.  I wish he knew that he could change the world.  I wish he knew that so many people look to him for guidance and acceptance.

I hope he knows that he is accepted.  I hope he knows that his children are blessed because of the way he led them through their growing years.

I don't even know my dad's email address.  And tonight, I wish I did.  I don't know how often he even checks, or if he would even be able to this week.  I just wish I could tell him this very minute.

My dad taught me that I was important.  He taught me that I should be excellent in what I do. My dad taught me how to be humble.  He taught me a lot about when to talk and when to listen.  My dad taught me how to be quiet.  He taught me how to laugh out loud about the smallest details.  My dad taught me how to appreciate the beauty of the world.  And even though he has no desire to travel beyond the borders of our country... his influence has somehow given me dreams of soaring beyond them.  My dad taught me how to get right to the point and get things done.  He taught me how to make a deal and when to walk away from one. He taught me how to forgive and how to keep loving even when it hurts.  My dad taught me about worship.  He taught me about music and song.  He taught me how to drive nails into walls and floors, how to scrape paint and put up new colors.  He taught me about foundations and the power of a dream.  He taught me about how not to get lost in the great outdoors.  The list goes on.

My dad tells me that I am beautiful and because of that I don't worry about others opinions.  I just think about the times he has told me..and I believe it.  My dad tells me that there is a future hope...that he believes it with all of his heart.  His belief makes me believe.  My dad tells me that the songs I sing minister to his heart...and it makes me sing stronger.  My dad helps me make my way in the world, and even when I make decisions on my own, he is right there with me.

I love my dad.
I hope he knows.
I hope I keep getting the chance to tell him over and over again.

No comments: