Tuesday, January 17

Grandma's Faith

Grandma has never been one to have a "God" conversation. She follows Grandpa to his conferences, listens to him have conversations about this minister or that minister, or God this or God that. But, secretly I don't know if she has ever felt confident about her walk. Her and Grandpa have had a hard road...but amazingly enough they have just celebrated their 50th this past month.

I remember sitting at the kitchen table over greasy eggs and bacon and bagels soaked in butter. I remember feeling the tug between sharing my faith with Grandpa and sharing comfort with Grandma. I don't know if she resented our conversations. I don't know if she just felt on the outside of the whole thing. I always felt as if somehow Grandpa seemed to disclude her...make her feel as if she wasn't good enough to enter the conversation....and still all the while I know he secretly hoped that she would have a heart change right along with her coffee and orange juice. There seemed to be too many hurts and wounds for me to dig through...to understand...in all of my aunts and uncles as well as their parents, my grandparents.

Oh, but I have always known that God had a plan for my family. I knew by the conversations I've had. My uncles would meet me out on the road as they passed through town. My aunts would share a cup of coffee at Christmastime. Grandpa would catch me on the phone. Grandma...once in awhile..would make a remark. God has marked them, called them, loved them.

Tonight Mom called with an update on Grandpa. He's getting better. Praise God. But the even more wonderful thing, is that Grandma is praying....and she's talking about praying. She's sitting as his bedside and believing God for Grandpa's healing. Sometimes, they cannot even sit in the same room...but these past couple of weeks...she is believing God for his life...holding his hand. My aunt called her from Florida...told Gram of a word of healing she had heard Benny Hinn speak...Gram was so excited about it...if you only knew Gram...you would know how amazing it is that she is grasping words of life and believing in faith for God to work. Amazing.

All I can do is thank God. I can't do a single thing, but watch Him work and thank Him for every moment, for every heart change.

1 comment:

pip said...

im praying for them too