Thursday, May 27

Today I received a present from one of my students. He had hidden it at my desk, so I opened it alone before class formally started. I could tell that he had taken much time and thought for the wrapping process. Daniel had written a note, in his broken English, who knows what it really said. :) He had then attached a gift to the note, wrapped in crumpled up notebook paper with ducktape securely in place. To top it off, a peppermint candy was placed beside the gift. (It was later eaten by Daniel.) The gift itself was a large pearl necklace with other beads attached. He later came and made sure that I had received the gift and that I liked it. He then told me that he had rescued it from being thrown away by his mother. His gift was precious. It came from his heart. He made my day. And although Daniel never sits in his seat, never really seems to listen when we are learning in class, and never stops tapping, twirling, drumming, or talking, I totally believe that somehow I have made a difference.

I don't know if I have taught these kids any academics that they will remember. (but I sure hope so) I don't know if I have given them enough structure or discipline to learn by. What I do know is that above and beyond learning how to tell time and count money, I want them to know their worth. I want them to know that they can walk in love and forgiveness. I want them to realize that they do not have to walk bitter as many of their parents do. I want them to believe in themselves enough to try and to problem solve. I want to see them push for something better. These are the true lessons that will get them through the hardships of life. These are the lessons I want to base my teaching around.

No comments: