Thursday, May 26

...but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven...
for where your treasure is there your heart will be also...
matthew 6:20,21
"It is finished"....the words I said to myself as I left my school building today. I can't believe it's all over! I can't believe it's time to move on from Tulsa. I have waited and waited for this....

I'm going to miss my kiddos. I'm going to miss their laughter and their faces. I'm going to miss watching them grow up through the school years. Little A. was on the playground last Friday as I was cleaning out my classroom. I had her come and pick up her lost bracelet. "Miss T., would you come to my house for dinner sometime?" Her sincerity just melted my heart. Just a couple months ago, as we sat together on the school bus, she asked me, "Could you come to my house for a sleepover?" There were times when I wondered if I was even getting through to this little one. Her ability to follow directions was questionable and a bit frustrating. But by the end of the year, I know she got through to me. She brought me a framed portrait of the words, "A hundred years from now..it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child!" Up until the moment when I opened this gift, I thought of this saying (that I have read many times before) as general and cheesy. But when I read those words and saw the smile on A.'s face, I was brought to tears. Because don't I worry about all that other stuff every single day of my life? And yet the most important things are the children who stare me in the face for eight hours a day, five days a week.

I can see the change that occured in me over this past year. I can see how the capacity to love and teach these children grew more than I thought it could. And I still have so much more to learn...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

April,

I have never told you this but I figure now is the time. I want you to know how much you have meant to me over the past year. I know that we aren't really "good" friends but you have been an awesome example of what a Christian ought to be. For you example, I am truely greatful. I believe that God has so much more for you in life. You have an awesome heart, and I admire how your face lights up when you talk about your kiddos. I can truely tell that God has given you the passion to teach. That said, the passion that you have has lead me to try and find my true passion. To really find out what makes me the happiest and what I would love to do for the rest of my life. The little girl is right that we often times find ourselves trying to collect the earthly treasures. By the way, what a smart child! The verse is exactly correct, that none of our treasures on earth matter, only the rewards we have in Heaven truely matter. I thank God for bringing you into my life because you have really been an inspiration. I have heard the passion you have for God and I have often times wonder if I sound that way. Do people really see the passion I have to live the Godly life? If someone saw me on the street would they no that I was a child of God? I'm sure you haven't realized this but you have challenged me to become a better Christian. Thank you for being an awesome example. I pray that God will lead you to where he wants you to go. I also pray that we will stay in touch. Jesus Saves! John Skold

April said...

Thank your for taking the time to say all of that. I consider you my friend. I have enjoyed the time that we have spent together over the past couple of years. You are genuine, John. I truly believe that you will find what you are looking for. Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you. That is exactly what you are doing. God has an amazing plan for your life. It is good to know that God shines through us...even when we don't "feel" it. He shines through you too. Keep the faith and don't give up. I hope we keep in touch also.

Passion is not just in words, it is in actions. This verse came to life for me because of your examples. You fought for people who sometimes do not even know their own need for freedom, who often fight against you as you lay down your lives for them.

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

Thank you, John, for fighting for our country. The sacrifices that you and Joe made challenged me in my faith. Am I willing to die for my country? Even more, am I willing to die for my faith? You'd laid your lives on the line and you set a standard. My life is changed because of you also.