Tuesday, June 15

"You are so...grown up"

Please remind me never to consider dating someone three years younger. Although the night was incredibly interesting and the conversation good, I couldn't help but think I was out of my league. Granted, he had pushed for the date, he had made the calls, but I in turn agreed. It was his music that caught my attention. He plays in a blue grass band. He loves the same band that I do..Nickel Creek. He even took me to his house and played the Harry Dulcimer, the most beautiful, life-filled notes I have heard in a long time. And if that wasn't enough, we rode around in his Jeep at sunset, with the top down and the doors off. He lives in what I like to call Thomas Kinkadeville (picture perfect homes, with picture perfect lights and landscapes); his backyard is a PGA certified golf course. So what did we do? We walk on the greens at dusk. Every detail of the night seemed "perfect". Walking into his home was like walking into the pages of Better Homes and Gardens, and of course his mother rattled of something like.."if I had known you were coming, I would have cleaned earlier." She was obviously looking at a differet house than I had just walked into. Did I mention that both of his parents are elementary school principals? His father would have hired me last week but thought I had gone back to NY. All this "perfection" was a bit too much for me.

In the midst of it all, what was around me did not matter. What mattered was that this guy I spent the night getting to know, had not captured my heart. His music captured my heart, his lifestyle captured my interest. But he was not who I loved. And I know that I cannot always judge things from the beginning, I know that...but that does not change the sounds of my heart.

Last night, he expressed his interest in "dating me more". He claimed that out of all the girls he has recently dated I am the most interesting. I can hold the best conversation and am the most enjoyable to be around. In his words, I am "so mature, so....grown up". Okay, okay...hold the phone. While I know that these are perfectly wonderful compliments, I found that the delivery was a bit comical. All of a sudden, I was talking to a school boy, and that was not romantic...not in the least.

No comments: